Planning and Simulation Systems (forecasting) to derive the correct pricing and profitability for a catalogue house. Product Structure and referencing with flexible attributes across products categories.
It was created for meeting the client’s needs for an end-to-end solution towards their creating budget and plans, design items to be procured, get the best prices from across the globe and finally analyze the plans against the actual creation of order for suppliers.
The client approached DSS to provide a solution to this problem. The features desired were from the existing modules and usage. But the new application should allow buyers to create and link all the components starting from creating of Plans, to creating of items to fulfill the plans, inviting suppliers to bid for items, getting and comparing bids, awarding of bids, getting order info, ability to assign styles to particular plans and analyze the outcome of the orders placed against the plans to check for order fulfillments.
The solution took care of not only the limitation of the existing system but also enhanced a lot of features which allowed the Client team to take instant decisions and modify their orders according the latest status and updated market requirements.
- The application created each requirement as a module which would work independently and would only involve other information where required
- It allowed the user to create items from scratch
- The application also had data interchange format in the form of interface. This automated the creation and update of items from the parent mainframe system automatically
- Bidding units were created for the items
- To get more pricing benefits, multiple items could by clubbed together
- Suppliers to be invited could be selected from list
- Actions on the Bid unit were emailed to concerned parties. This includes any bid info, ignore info, invitations, etc.
- Bid can be awarded. Note: awarding is referential for the supplier
- The final orders are created in a different system but all details get automatically imported via interface
- Analysis of the orders against created plans is given in the form of different reports
For this application DSS also provides full back-office support and is greatly involved in the maintenance. All master data entries, periodic checking of data, performing UAT for new releases, giving inputs to the client towards introduction of new business features, etc. The Back-office is able to coordinate independently and follow up with the different parties which are involved in the data management for the site. This frees up the client staff for performing of actual business functionality rather than spending time towards maintaining of the site information.
Being Web based means it is online and latest information is available to all users. At the same time it gives allows the client users to go on buying visits and update data as and when required directly to the site.
- Web based solution meant instant availability from any location around the world. Users can update data from any location and simultaneously have access to authorized data updated by others
- Data is centrally stored and available to all modules. There is upload / download/ online / offline content which requires synchronization. This not only reduces data latency but also allows the latest reports based on data updated till that point
- The relevant data is linked to each other. Even though Items and Orders come from separate systems, the mapping fields are checked and relevant entities are linked E.g. Orders are linked to existing Items in the application
- Application has high level of authorization. Every user is created with their own rights. These rights can restrict users to viewing only Items allowed for them (or their departments)
- Interfaces to get Item, Order and Basic Forecast data from existing older mainframe systems via interfaces
- Tracking of changes for relevant entities
Demand forecasting for various channels. Planning for new Collections
Main purpose of this application is to create internal orders to get items out of the warehouse. There are several reasons for such internal orders (IWA) such as:
- QC Department need sample items for quality checks
- Photo studio needs sample items for photo shoots
- Old non-successful items needs to be withdrawn from warehouse and stocked in a separate overstock warehouse
- In some cases these internal orders are used to send goods to sister companies
Each of these reasons for internal orders is handled as a separate IWA type, which could then be assigned to individual users and could have different work-flows within the process of creation and approval of internal orders.