Microsoft Dynamics GP is a popular enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that has been around for over 20 years. However, as businesses evolve, they may find that they need a more modern and cloud-based ERP solution. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is a great option for businesses that are looking to move to the cloud.
Moving from Dynamics GP to Business Central can be a complex process, but it is important to do it right. Here are some steps to follow:
- Assess your current needs. Before you start the migration process, it is important to assess your current needs. What are the features of Dynamics GP that you are using the most? What are the features of Business Central that you are interested in? Once you have a good understanding of your needs, you can start to plan the migration.
- Choose a migration path. There are two main ways to migrate from Dynamics GP to Business Central:
- In-place upgrade: This is the easiest option, but it is not always the best option. In-place upgrades can be difficult to manage, and they can sometimes lead to data loss.
- New installation: This is the more complex option, but it is often the best option. A new installation allows you to start fresh with Business Central, and it can help you avoid data loss.
- Clean and map your data. Before you start the migration, you need to clean and map your data. This means that you need to identify any duplicate or incorrect data, and you need to map the data from Dynamics GP to the corresponding fields in Business Central.
- Migrate your data. Once you have cleaned and mapped your data, you can start the migration process. There are a number of different tools that you can use to migrate your data, including the Data Migration Wizard and the Azure Data Lake Migration Tool.
- Test your data. Once you have migrated your data, it is important to test it to make sure that it is correct. You can use the Business Central test environment to test your data.
- Deploy your new system. Once you have tested your data, you can deploy your new system. This means that you need to make Business Central available to your users.
Moving from Dynamics GP to Business Central can be a complex process, but it is important to do it right. By following these steps, you can ensure that your migration is successful.
Here are some additional tips for moving from Dynamics GP to Business Central:
- Start early. Don’t wait until the last minute to start the migration process. Start early so that you have plenty of time to plan and execute the migration.
- Communicate with your users. Keep your users informed about the migration process. Let them know what to expect, and answer any questions that they may have.
- Be patient. The migration process can take some time. Be patient, and don’t expect everything to go perfectly.
- Get help from a professional. If you are not comfortable migrating your data yourself, you can get help from a professional.
Direction Software LLP have been Microsoft Business Solutions providers for almost 20 years, our deep understanding of the challenges that customers face sets us apart from others. We provide personalized solutions that help our customers achieve their goals while maximizing their return on investment. Our engagement framework depicts the various levels of customer engagement and highlights the critical role that partners play throughout each phase.
Our personalized support and guidance throughout each stage of the customer engagement process are significant reasons why we have an exceptionally high level of customer retention. We take pride in our ability to provide tailored solutions that empower our customers to achieve their goals.
If you are seeking a Microsoft Partner to guide you on your path to digital growth, we would love to hear from you. Our team of experts is always available to provide a demo or quote and help you take the first step towards digital transformation.
Contact Direction today and discover how we can help you achieve your goals.
Moving from Dynamics GP to Business Central can be a great way to improve your business. By following these tips, you can ensure that your migration is successful.
About the author:
Tushar Sharma is a Functional Consultant for Microsoft NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central working with Direction Software LLP.